What is An Uninsured Motorist Claim?

If you caused an accident and didn’t have insurance the other driver will be able to file an uninsured motorist claim (UMC). Their insurance company will pay for all the things yours would have.  Then the other driver’s insurance company will turn the matter over to their subrogation department. The Subrogation department will contact you about paying them back. Do not ignore them because they can have your drivers license suspended, sue you or turn you over to collections.

However, this department will be willing to set up an interest free payment plan for you to repay them for all they paid their driver. Most likely they will want at least around $ 100 per month until the debt is paid in full. If you miss payments they suspend your license, sue you or turn you over to collections. The other thing you can do is see if the subro dept will accept a lesser lump sum. For example: you owe them lets say $ 10,000 they may be willing to take 7,000 if you pay it as a lump sum. They would rather get a little less all at once than collect the full $ 10,000 100 dollars at a time. Can you dispute the amount they want? No not really. They paid it you owe it. ** This is not legal advice ***

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.